Monday, 9 September 2013

Relax, Before You Race to the Finish Line

The first draft of Back Home is finally done! This is my fourth book in the series and I have to say that my little experiment of writing a serial has been a productive and interesting one. I've learned so much in the last seven months writing these four novella/novels and there's more to come yet.

If you're interested in my journey through this process or what I did before this, I invite you to have a look at my earlier blog posts.

In this and the next post I'd like to focus on the final stage of my novel. With the first draft completed and endnotes/thread notes tacked on the back of my book, I now have an intact story and plot line, which helps with flow and to me on with subsequent edits. At this stage I like to take a bit of time away from the project. So I'm going to give myself about a week. I have plenty of other projects to work on and I'm also gearing up for the last course in my master's program at the Mount. This down time gives me an opportunity to take my mind out of the work, long enough to come back at it at a later date, so I can look at it with fresh eyes. This process tends to be of tremendous benefit. And I know you may be saying to yourself: Well your so close, why not just finish, get the work out there? To me, this last step is crucial. It's difficult, but necessary to gain a fresh perspective on my novel so that I can make the most of my experience and provide a polished product that readers will enjoy, along with the help of my invaluable editor, Keiti, of course.

Next week, I'm going to reveal one of my little gems that I use to help me in the final editing process, before I send my baby out to an editor.

You can find me through the week at kimwelsman.ca or on twitter @kimwelsman. I have a cool new trailer on my website and hope you have time to check it out.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see where the 4th book takes the storyline! Color me excited! :-) Keiti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keiti, Thanks so much for the post...It's coming....

    ReplyDelete