Monday, 7 October 2013

The Big Reveal is Finally here...

I've been making a few changes lately and one of them is when to post my blog. After some consideration I've decided to now post my blog on Mondays and I hope you have time to check it out.

Concerning my time and my science fiction and fantasy writing, well things have been busy around here, more busy than I'd like to admit I guess. Back Home, Book 4 in the Alien Encounters Series is back from my editor from its first round of edits and I'm going through, making my revisions.

Lyrissa and Peggy are both back on Sylax and in a nice twist we get to see this world through both Lyrissa's and Peggy's eyes. I've never tried to write a book in two different points of view, but I do like a challenge. I read Scott Westerfeld's Levithan Series and really liked the way one character's point of view complimented the others'.

So, this newest novel and yes, it's shaping up to be a novel running at around 50,000 words, it's told from both Lyrissa's and Peggy's point of view. I think having more than one point of view it makes for a more rich and three dimensional story. Writing the novel I tried my best to remain consistent, while still following storyline and plot. Coming up with two different character flaws and two different emotions journeys wasn't easy while still creating a unique alien world with a rich mythology, but with help from my new editor I think we're managing quite well. The book is going through revision number 1 and I hope to have it out by the end of this month or the beginning of November.

Challenge is what got me started on the Alien Encounters Series. I love Stephen King novels and the Green Mile was great. Mr. King strikes me as someone who likes to experiment with form. I was intrigued by the Green Mile's delivery method. When the book was first published it came out as a serial—I believe there were six novellas in all. Well as luck would have it that's where I intend to draw the line with the Alien Encounters; six seems like a nice round number to me.

If you follow me on twitter you've probably already seen the cover art for this book, the most recent installment in the series, however I did promise to post my cover art here, so as promised here it is.



I hope you have time to post a comment and let me know what you think.

You can find me through the week at www.Kimwelsman.ca or on twitter @kimwelsman.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    Just found you via a Twitter feed. Love how busy you are! Just purchased Book One of your Back Home series...thought I'd start at the beginning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much rcponders. I'm glad you found me and sorry I didn't respond to you earlier. I've been ill for a while and am finally coming around. I am actually reworking book 1. I'm going to publish the revised copy as a 2nd version/edition in the hope that people who purchased the first version will get an updated copy, so if you don't just message me through twitter or my website and I'll be happy to send you a free copy of the updated version.

      I hope you enjoy Going Home. Thanks again for the post, Kim

      Delete